RFC: representing sdio devices oob interrupt, clks, etc. in device tree

Arend van Spriel arend at broadcom.com
Fri May 23 06:21:34 PDT 2014

On 05/23/14 13:50, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/23/2014 01:22 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
>> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:13:44AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking more about this, I would like to make one change to my
>>> proposal, the mmc-core should only do power up of child-nodes if
>>> they have a compatible of: "simple-sdio-powerup". This way
>>> when we add something more complex, we can keep the simple powerup
>>> code in the mmc core, keeping what we've already using this working
>>> and the mmc core won't respond to the child nodes for more complex
>>> devices, so it won't conflict with more complex power-up handling
>>> handled by some other driver.
>>
>> Would it not be better to have this be something in the driver struct
>> rather than in the device tree?  Putting a compatible in there would be
>> encoding details of the Linux implementation in the DT which doesn't
>> seem right especially since these are details we're thinking of changing
>> later on.
>
> The compatible is not a Linux specific thing, it is a marking saying
> that something needs to take care of enabling the clks (and whatever
> else we will make part of the binding for this compatible), before
> scanning the mmc bus.
>
>> Something like have the driver set flags saying if it wants
>> to do complicated things.
>
> Chicken<->  egg, we won't know which driver to use before we've probed
> the mmc bus, and we cannot probe the bus before enabling the clks, etc.

The approach I took with brcmfmac is that upon module init I search the
DT for "brcm,bcm43xx-fmac" compatible and get the clock and/or gpio
resource and enable them before registering the sdio driver. The
difficulty is probably when using the driver built-in as the clocks and
gpios may not be available yet and we can not rely on deferred probing
in module init stage.

Regards,
Arend