mainline boot: 64 boots: 62 pass, 2 fail (v3.16-rc1-2-gebe0618)

Kevin Hilman khilman at linaro.org
Mon Jun 23 11:32:43 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Tushar Behera <trblinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Adding linux-samsung-soc and linux-arm-kernel ML for wider audience.
>
> On 06/19/2014 04:12 PM, Tushar Behera wrote:

>>> Laura,
>>>
>>> We are getting following kernel panic [1] (not always, but quite
>>> regularly) while booting Arndale-Octa (based on Samsung's Exynos5420)
>>> board with upstream kernel. I haven't observed this issue with other
>>> boards yet.
>>>
>>> This issue is observed when I am booting with uImage + dtb (within
>>> roughly ~10 iterations).
>>>

>> Some more information:
>>
>> The boot logs are provided in pastebin, okay[2] and failed[3].
>>
>> In case of boot failures, I am getting a higher value for vm_total_pages
>> (684424 in [3]). In case of successful boot on my board, it is always
>> 521232 [2] on my board.

I can confirm that reverting the "Get rid of meminfo" patch gets the
Octa board booting reliably again for me also.

In case it helps, some boot logs for failures from the last copule
linux-next build/boot cycles can be seen here:
http://armcloud.us/kernel-ci/next/next-20140623/arm-exynos_defconfig/boot-exynos5420-arndale-octa.log
http://armcloud.us/kernel-ci/next/next-20140620/arm-exynos_defconfig/boot-exynos5420-arndale-octa.log

Kevin