[GIT PULL][for 3.17] pull request for hisilicon soc

Haojian Zhuang haojian.zhuang at linaro.org
Sat Jul 26 18:57:22 PDT 2014

On 26 July 2014 23:30, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> On Friday 25 July 2014 14:01:20 xuwei wrote:
>> Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,
>>
>> Resend it again and add arm at kernel.org into the CC list.
>> Please help to merge pull request for hisilicon soc.
>>

> I pulled this at first and was planning to complain about
> individual problems, but then decided to undo the pull, after
> the mistakes outweigh the good parts in this pull request:
>>
>> The following changes since commit f753b5db43e3819e02354a638ea31e332e08ac3a:
>>
>>   ARM: hisi: store reboot reg in global variable (2014-07-03 19:29:15 +0800)
>
> We have not actually merge commit f753b5db43e3819e yet, and you effectively
> left it out of the pull request, but it is of course present in the branch.
>
> This commit also seems completely wrong and should be reverted: There
> is no need to avoid parsing DT in the restart function, and instead of
> adding another callback, the code should be changed to move the restart
> handling into a separate driver in drivers/power/reset/.
>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>   git://github.com/hisilicon/linux-hisi.git tags/hix5hd2-for-3.17
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to 5354cf5f6026b5d16caf0001886c06ab9ca42dff:
>>
>>   ARM: hisi: enable L2 driver (2014-07-04 14:07:17 +0800)

>> enable hisilicon terminal SoC based on 3.16-rc1
>>

> This description doesn't seem to reflect the contents of the
> branch, and is much too short. I actually starting writing
> a proper changeset text to help you but dropped that now.

>> Haifeng Yan (3):
>>       ARM: debug: Rename Hi3716 to HI5XHD2
>
> This one had me confused for a while, because it seems like
> you are breaking support for hi3xxx, but instead it's just
> a different name for the same chip if I see this right.
>
> An easier approach would actually be to remove DEBUG_HI3716_UART
> completely: the setting is exactly the same for
> HI3716, HI3620 and HIX5HD2, so you can simply keep the name
> for the oldest chip here and change the help text to reflect
> which products it works on.

The physical address of hi3xxx uart is different from x5hd2.

Since hi3620 & hix5hd2 could be built into one image. If I don't use the
DEBUG_HIX5HD2_UART to mark, I can't distinguish the right UART
physical address only by ARCH_HI3xxx or ARCH_HIX5HD2.

>>       ARM: hisi: enable hix5hd2 SoC
>
> Here you introduce a device node with compatible="hisilicon,cpuctrl",
> which is a far too generic name, as it seems to imply that this is
> the only "CPU control" part that ever came out of hisilicon. The
> binding should be documented in
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/hisilicon/hisilicon.txt
> and reviewed on the mailing list. From the use of the code, it
> seems that this should really be a reset controller with a
> device driver in drivers/reset, but that is not clear without
> knowing more about the hardware.
>
> Also, it would be nice to use the CPU_METHOD_OF_DECLARE() macro here.

OK. I'll update it.

> Finally, it's not clear why you need a new Kconfig symbol. It seems
> that all code you have is compiled independent of these, except for
> the dtb files and the DEBUG_LL setting.

Actually it's nearly same except for headsmp.S.

Hisilicon guys think that hix5hd2 belongs to another group. They don't
want to totally share their code base with hi3xxx.

>>       ARM: dts: Add hix5hd2-dkb dts file.
>
> This is ok.
>
>> Haojian Zhuang (4):
>>       ARM: debug: add HiP04 debug uart
>
> This patch seem correct, but it is completely useless
> because support for HiP04 is not available. You effectively
> just add dead code.

OK. I can remove this from this patch set.

>>       ARM: hisi: add ARCH_HISI
>
> This is ok, except for the "hisilicon,cpuctrl" node mentioned
> above.
>
>>       ARM: config: add ARCH_HIX5HD2 in hi3xxx_defconfig
>
> I'd prefer to see the defconfig changes in a separate pull
> request. Also, please enable all drivers you need in
> multi_v7_defconfig.

OK

>>       ARM: hisi: enable L2 driver
>
> This one should also be done differently. Instead of adding
> an .init_machine function, you should set the l2x0 aux value
> in the machine descriptor directly.

OK

> If you can fix up the problems I mention above quickly, I can
> consider a new pull request.

I'll try.

> What happened to HiP04 support? I thought that would arrive
> in time for 3.17.

I just sent v14 in this week. I already updated gic & mcpm according
to comments. But I haven't gotten any comments & Ack yet. So I don't
know whether we could send the pull request of HiP04 in 3.17.