Freescale FEC packet loss

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Sun Jan 26 13:56:30 EST 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 22:55 +0100, Marek Vasut wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am running stock Linux 3.13 on i.MX6Q SabreLite board. The CPU is i.MX6Q TO
> 1.0 .
>
> I am hitting a WARNING when I use the FEC ethernet to transfer data, thus I
> started investigating this problem. TL;DR I am not able to figure this problem
> out, so I am not attaching a patch :-(
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> -------------------
> 1) Boot stock Linux 3.13 on i.MX6Q SabreLite board
> 2) Plug in an SD card into one of the SD slots (I use the full-size one)
> 3) Plug in an USB stick into one of the USB ports (I use the upper one)
> 4) Plug in an ethernet cable into the board
>    -> Connect the other side into a gigabit-capable PC
[...]

I think there are known problems with 1000BASE-T on the Sabre Lite
board.  Two possible workarounds are to limit the PHY to 100BASE-TX
(should be doable with ethtool) or force it to be clock master for
1000BASE-T (requires a driver patch).  The vendor kernel apparently does
both!  Matthew Garrett has been trying to implement a workaround in a
clean way.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If the facts do not conform to your theory, they must be disposed of.