[patch 09/26] arm: mmp: Remove pointless fiddling with irq internals

Haojian Zhuang haojian.zhuang at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 21:19:41 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Chao Xie <xiechao.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx at linutronix.de> wrote:

>>> Yes, suspend/resume can't work if the above code is removed.
>>>
>>> Interrupt source (logic AND with interrupt mask register) is connected
>>> to MPMU as
>>> wakeup source. If the interrupt is disabled, there's no wakeup source event.
>>>
>>> And APMU is waken up by MPMU.
>>>
>>> So please don't remove the above code. We must keep these interrupt lines active
>>> to wake up the whole system.
>>
>> They are kept active at the interrupt controller level. You just
>> refuse to understand how the internals of the interrupt subsystem
>> work.
>>
> If no irq_disable callback is hooked, when do irq_disable, it will not
> actually disable
> the interrupt, it will depend on next time when the irq happens, the
> handler will first mask
> the interrupt as this interrupt never happens.
> So after system suspended, the interrupt happens, but the device
> driver will not recieve this interrupt
> because it is masked.
> It results in that the device driver miss a important interrupt which
> related to something need to be
> handled. If user application for example android has power managment
> daemon. It will find that nothing
> to handle, it will make the system enter suspend again.

Let me list the logic to make it easier to understand.

suspend_enter()
  --> dpm_suspend_end()
           --> dpm_suspend_noirq()
                    --> suspend_device_irqs()
                             --> __disable_irq()
                                     --> set IRQS_SUSPENDED && call
irq_disable() if necessary
  --> syscore_suspend()
          --> check_wakeup_irqs()
               If there's no pending irq in suspend process &&
IRQS_SUSPENDED is set,
               then mask the irq.

Yes, we didn't implement disable_irq(). But we must implement mask_irq().

So system suspends. Then system will never be waken up by this irq any
more since
it's masked.