Stuck getting DTS working for a new kirkwood board

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Fri Feb 21 15:08:55 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 08:21:11PM +0100, Dashie wrote:
> On 02/21/2014 04:15 PM, Jason Cooper wrote:

> >> Actually i've unset mainlineLinux and arcNumber, so the DTB is used.
> >> In fact the t5325 device is the only one which the pci-e works, but it
> >> use old -setup.c files and then i'm lost with that.

> >> I've built a kernel from the 3.12.9 debian sources but can't get it to
> >> boot, i got nothing after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the
> >> kernel.".
> > Check that you have 'earlyprintk' in your commandline, and that you set
> >
> > Kernel hacking
> >   -> Kernel low-level debugging functions
> >   -> Kernel low-level debugging port (Kernel low-level debugging via 8250 UART)
> >   -> (0xf1012000) Physical base address of debug UART
> >   -> (0xfde12000) Virtual base address of debug UART
> >   -> (2) Register offset shift for the 8250 debug UART
> >   -> Early printk
> >
> > Also make sure you have set 'console=ttyS0,115200n8' on the commandline
> > as well.
> All good, also checked for DTB append.
> >> I've used the debian's kernel config file, but i can try the
> >> kirkwood_defconfig make target and checking everything is activated (DTB
> >> append, SATA PMP, etc.)
> >> Which git repos i could try to build then ?
> > We'll have you work with two repos.  Linus' mainline repo:
> >
> > $ cd
> > $ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
> > $ cd linux
> > $ git config --add user.name "first and last"
> > $ git config --add user.email "dashie at sigpipe.me"
> >
> > And we'll add our repo as another remote:
> >
> > $ git remote add mvebu git://git.infradead.org/linux-mvebu.git
> > $ git remote update --prune mvebu
> >
> > First you should try v3.14-rc1
> >
> > $ git checkout -b t5325 v3.14-rc1
> >
> > Now, add your dts file and commit the result.  Build, boot, report back.
> >
> > I wold also do kirkwood_defconfig with the above that I mentioned.
> >
> Well, with kirkwood_defconfig it doesn't find the SATA PHY and panic.
> So i've used my debian config, make oldconfig, built and ... the toy is
> booting.

Yes, this is a known issue.  You worked around it by enabling generic
phy support (it's most likely in the other configs).

> Since i've checkout the mvebu branch,

?  I'm confused.  You should be on v3.14-rc1 with your dts file change
on top.

> i think it's better to start from kirkwood_defconfig and activate
> things that starting from the debian config, right ?

Yes, we use kirkwood_defconfig for testing here so it should be a good,
up-to-date minimal config for starting from (with the exception of the
above bug).  Debian's config, by necessity is much bigger.

> Anyway, going to play with an initrd to get rootfs on usb working.

Looks like you just need to add some modules or compile them in.

thx,

Jason.