[Patch v6 1/2] dmaengine: qcom_bam_dma: Add device tree binding

Andy Gross agross at codeaurora.org
Fri Feb 21 11:30:53 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 09:26:57AM +0000, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 06:43:04AM +0000, Andy Gross wrote:
> > Add device tree binding support for the QCOM BAM DMA driver.

[snip]
> > +Required properties:
> > +- compatible:	Must be "qcom,bam-v1.4.0" for MSM8974 V1
> > +		Must be "qcom,bam-v1.4.1" for MSM8974 V2
>
> This looks a bit odd. How about:
>
> - compatible: must contain:
>   * "qcom,bam-v1.4.0" for MSM8974 V1
>   * "qcom,bam-v1.4.1" for MSM8974 V2

Agreed.  I'll fix that.

> > +- reg: Address range for DMA registers
> > +- interrupts: single interrupt for this controller
>
> This device only has a single interrupt? Or there's only one we care
> about at the moment?

Yes only a single interrupt.  I can remove the s.

> > +- #dma-cells: must be <1>
> > +- clocks: required clock
> > +- clock-names: name of clock
>
> Either describe the _exact_ name this binding expects for any clocks
> input, or get rid of clock-names. I would prefer the former.

So then I'd use the full name in the driver file.  That's fine.

[snip]
> > +Client:
> > +Required properties:
> > +- dmas: List of dma channel requests
> > +- dma-names: Names of aforementioned requested channels
>
> Do we really need to describe the client binding? Do we not have a
> generic DMA binding doc we can refer to?

Originally there was more information in the entry.  It was pared down over time
and I didn't go back to referencing the generic doc.  I'll do this and that'll
fix this and your next comment.

[snip]

--
sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,