BUG: Null pointer dereference on booting TC2 with vexpress_defconfig

Sudeep Holla Sudeep.Holla at arm.com
Wed Feb 19 06:59:59 EST 2014

On 18/02/14 21:32, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 04:59:23PM +0000, Sudeep Holla wrote:

>>> So vexpress_defconfig is known to not work on TC2?
>>>

>> I would say yes before v3.13 for TC2 at-least. Pawel's commit: 81d6e719d1f8(
>> ARM: vexpress: Enable platform-specific options in defconfig) enabled several VE
>> specific features.

>>> Disabling CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_TC2_PM allows the system to boot, but
>>> only with one CPU.
>>>
>>> Disabling CONFIG_MCPM allows SMP boot as well.
>>>
>> Yes that's what I suspected.

>>> What works fine? With both configs enabled?
>>>
>> Yes with the default vexpress_defconfig as is in the mainline.
>>
>>> I didn't change anything on the boot monitor side.  Can you give me a
>>> pointer to the specifics?  Was there an announcement about this
>>> somewhere that I failed to locate?
>>>

>> You might be having very old firmware that doesn't support percpu mailbox and
>> hence can't enable CONFIG_MCPM. You can refer CFGREG48 in Section 3.3.2 of [1]
>> for details. You can grab the latest firmware in single step from [2] under
>> Firmware tab.
>>
>> [2] http://releases.linaro.org/14.01/openembedded/vexpress-lsk/
>
> Thanks, unfortunately when I flash this newest firmware, I just see:
>
> Setting DVI mode for VGA.
> Releasing Daughterboard resets.
> Switching MCC log to UART1.
>
> And it never seems to proceed.  Any pointers to what I could be doing
> wrong?

I just tried dumping the exact contents from the git clone and it boots fine to
bootmon prompt to me.

BTW after a chat with MarcZ, got to know that you would enter linux kernel in
hyp-mode. It's broken esp. with U-boot and MCPM combination last time I checked.
So IMO it's better to revert back to !CONFIG_MCPM & !CONFIG_VEXPRESS_TC2_PM and
old firmware for now for all you KVM developments .

However the new firmware is backward compatible and should work w/o MCPM.

Regards,
Sudeep