[REGRESSION] 3.14-rc2 boot failure on Kirkwood (qnap ts-119p+)

Andrew Lunn andrew at lunn.ch
Sun Feb 16 15:29:57 EST 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:45:20AM -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> Hi Mikael,
>
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:00:37PM +0100, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > My Kirkwood box worked fine with the 3.13 kernel, but with 3.14-rc2
> > boot always fails due to a kernel NULL dereference in __clk_put.
> >
> > This is a non-DT kernel, with:
> >
> > CONFIG_ARCH_KIRKWOOD=y
> > CONFIG_KIRKWOOD_LEGACY=y
> > CONFIG_MACH_TS219=y
> > # CONFIG_ARCH_KIRKWOOD_DT is not set
> >

> Thanks for the report. I thought this issue was already fixed, but I
> cannot find it on either the mailing lists or linux-next.
>
> So, in case it hasn't been fixed here's an untested fix for you to test.
> Please try this patch and let us know.
>
> Your SATA won't work but if the patch is OK the kernel wont't blow away.
>
> Andrew? Do we support the new phy requirement in non-DT platforms?

Hi Ezequiel

I consider Non-DT kirkwood now pretty much near death. Probably with
3.16 it will of gone altogether. So i did not plan for Non-DT to
support SATA phy. I did however want it to at least boot, so i broke
something here :-(

I will take a look at your fix and what we can expect in the next -rc.

  Andrew