[RFC/RFT 1/2] ARM: mm: introduce arch hooks for dma address translation routines

Santosh Shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Wed Feb 5 13:37:39 EST 2014

Dave,

On Wednesday 05 February 2014 11:23 AM, Dave Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 06:04:56PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>>> I may be wrong but you could have 64 bit bus but 32 bit DMA controllers.
>>> That is one of the case I am dealing with.
>>
>> You are absolutely right. In fact you could have any combination of
>> bus widths between a device and the RAM and the correct way to deal
>> with this is probably to follow the dma-ranges properties of each
>> device in-between and take the intersection (that may not be the
>> right term in English, but I think you know what I mean).

>>> Thats the case and the $subject series doesn't change that.

> As you explain above, these are properties of end-to-end paths between
> a bus-mastering device and the destination.  They aren't properties
> of a device, or of a bus.
>
> For example, we can have the following system, which ePAPR can't describe
> and wouldn't occur with PCI (or, at least would occur in a transparent
> way so that software does not need to understand the difference between
> this structure and a simple CPU->devices tree).

>      I ---+
>     / \    \
>    /   \    \
>   v     v    \
>  A ----> B    \
>   \            v
>    +---------> D
>
> This follows from the unidirectional and minimalistic nature of ARM SoC
> buses (AMBA family, AHB, APB etc. ... and most likely many others too).
>
> To describe A's DMA mappings correctly, the additional links must be
> described, even though thay are irrelevant for direct CPU->device
> transactions.

>>> Just to be clear, the patch set is not fiddling with dma_ops as such.
>>> The dma_ops needs few accessors to convert addresses and these accessors
>>> are different on few platforms. And hence needs to be patched.
>>
>> well, iop13xx is certainly not going to be multiplatform any time
>> soon, so we don't have to worry about those. ks8695 won't be multiplatform
>> unless I do it I suspect. I don't know about the plans for OMAP1,
>> but since only the OHCI device is special there, it would be trivial
>> to do a separate dma_map_ops for that device, or to extend arm_dma_ops
>> to read the offset in a per-device variable as we probably have to
>> do for DT/multiplatform as well.
>>
>>> We will try to look at "dma-ranges" to see if it can address my case.
>>> Thanks for the pointer
>
> dma-ranges does work for simpler cases.  In particular, it works where all
> bus-mastering children of a bus node can a) access each other using the
> address space of the bus node, and b) all have the same view of the rest
> of the system (which may be different from the view from outside the bus:
> the dma-ranges property on the bus describes the difference).
>
> Sometimes, we may be able to describe an otherwise undescribable situation
> by introducing additional fake bus nodes.  But if there are cross-links
> between devices, this won't always work.

> [...]
The answer at least not fully "yes" with the limited look at dma-ranges
so far.
- The of_translate_dma_address() can be used to translate addresses
from DMA to CPU address space. And this should work but it will be
expensive compared to classic macro's.
- We don't see a way for CPU -> DMA addresses translation using DT.
Probably some more digging/pointers are is needed.

Regards,
Santosh