use IORESOURCE_REG resource type for non-translatable addresses in DT

Stanimir Varbanov svarbanov at mm-sol.com
Wed Aug 27 09:27:00 PDT 2014

On 07/30/2014 09:06 AM, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> On 07/29, Rob Herring wrote:

>>> The most important thing is that platform_get_resource{_by_name}(&pdev,
>>> IORESOURCE_REG, n) returns the reg property and optional size encoded
>>> into a struct resource. I think Rob is suggesting we circumvent the
>>> entire of_address_to_resource() path and do some if
>>> (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_OF) && type == IORESOURCE_REG) check in
>>> platform_get_resource() to package up the reg property into a struct
>>> resource. That should work.
>>
>> No, I'm saying why are you using platform_get_resource at all and
>> adding a new resource type? I don't see any advantage.
>
> First off, the resource type is not new. IORESOURCE_REG has
> existed for two years (see commit 72dcb1197228 "resources: Add
> register address resource type, 2012-08-07").
>
> The main advantage is allowing things like
> platform_get_resource_by_name() and platform_get_resource() to
> work seamlessly with devicetree. If we don't have this, drivers
> are going to open code their reg property parsing and possibly
> reg-names parsing. There are a handful of drivers that would be
> doing this duplicate work.
>
> Sure, we could consolidate them into an OF helper function, but
> then these are the only platform drivers that are getting their
> reg properties via a special non-translatable address function.
> The drivers don't care that they're using non-translateable
> addresses as long as they can pass the address returned from
> platform_get_resource() to their regmap and do I/O. The drivers
> are written under the assumption that they're a sub-device of
> some parent device (in this case a PMIC) and so they assume that
> the regmap has already been setup for them.

Starting from the fact that these devices are sub-functions of PMIC (MFD
devices) and currently there are no so many users of similar API outside
of PMIC's world, does it make sense to implement an API for
non-translatable addresses in MFD core?

We could pass a null pointer to the mfd_cell->resources which means that
the resources will be collected from the DT. There is already code in
mfd_add_device() which passed over every child of the parent device
node. This way the mfd_add_device() will fill the proper resource type
and the sub-function drivers can use platform_get_resource() without
worries.

--
regards,
Stan