[GIT PULL] at91: move of AIC drivers for 3.17: fixes #1

Boris BREZILLON boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Fri Aug 15 07:41:50 PDT 2014

Hi Jason,

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 10:22:25 -0400
Jason Cooper <jason at lakedaemon.net> wrote:

> Nicolas,
>
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 05:45:56PM +0200, Nicolas Ferre wrote:
> > Arnd, Olof, Kevin,
> >
> > Boris moved both of our AIC drivers to their new home: the drivers/irqchip
> > directory taking advantage of the genirc framework. For DT-enabled SoCs, we can
> > use these drivers (aic and aic5) right now: Jason merged them and they are
> > available in early 3.17 merge window.
> > So, I build this pull-request for enabling the use of these drivers now as:
> > - we are very early in 3.17 development
> > - it allowed us to avoid having to depend on Jason's branch before the opening
> >   of the merge window
>
> Then why did I create a topic branch for you to base on?
>
>   git://git.infradead.org/users/jcooper/linux.git irqchip/atmel-aic

Don't blame Nicolas for this, he was in vacation when you created this
branch (he came back this week), and I should have told you that he
couldn't use it for this release cycle.

> > - it removes some code from the mach-at91 directory: including the whole
> >   aic5 driver
> > - we'd have quite a bit of time to solve issues if we found a bug
> > - the code is basically moved so it should be error free.
>
> Well, this is certainly up to Arnd, Olof and Kevin, but it seems a bit
> unusual.  You're basically asking to merge changes into the current window
> that has had _no_ time in -next...  Sounds like a recipe for trouble to
> me.
>
> In the future, please let me know if you're not going to need a topic
> branch.

This is all my fault, I'm the one who asked Nicolas to get these patches
merged in 3.17, and, as I said, I should have told you that he was in
vacation and thus could not use your topic branch for this release
cycle.

Anyway, I understand your concern about merging stuff that have not been
tested on linux-next.

Arnd, Olof, Kevin, I'd totally understand if you refuses to takes these
patches for this release cycle.

Best Regards,

Boris

--