[GIT PULL v3] Xilinx Zynq changes for v3.15

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Apr 25 02:00:50 PDT 2014

On Thursday 27 March 2014, Michal Simek wrote:
> > The problem I noticed is the soc-bus support: I noticed that you
> > are populating the entire device tree under the soc node, including
> > any top-level devices, and that the "xlnx,zynq-devcfg-1.00.a"
> > node is part of that.
> >
> > I think what you should try instead is to have only the
> > amba bus and its children as part of the soc-bus, but other
> > top-level devices (e.g. board clocks) outside of the soc
> > node. Also, it would make sense to merge the devcfg stuff
> > with the amba node, since it's really what makes up the
> > soc. Does that make sense to you, or do you have reason to
> > believe it won't work?
>
> No problem to postpone to the next release and discuss it more.
>
> Currently all devices listed in dts/dtsi are all hard IPs
> inside PS silicon that's why I think they should be the part of SoC.
> (zynq-devcfg is also hard IP present all the time in SoC
> I will use different compatible string in the next version
> xlnx,zynq-devcfg-1.0).
>
> For devices in PL is situation different because only axi-axi bridge
> is present in PS that's why I think that new bus type should
> be used. Also this bridge provides some resets which can be
> provided through this bus bridge driver.
>
> Current code do this:
>
> root at zynq:~# cat /sys/bus/soc/devices/soc0/revision
> 0x0
> root at zynq:~# cat /sys/bus/soc/devices/soc0/soc_id
> 0x7
> root at zynq:~# cat /sys/bus/soc/devices/soc0/family
> Xilinx Zynq
> root at zynq:~# ls /sys/bus/soc/devices/soc0/
> amba.0        f8891000.pmu  power         soc_id        uevent
> amba.1        family        revision      subsystem
>
> amba.0 is the bus present in zynq-7000.dtsi
> amba.1 is bus I have added myself just locally which is
> axi2axi bridge mentioned above.
>
> All devices which will be in PL will be connected to this amba.1
> bus.
>
> Regarding clk driver in slcr node is not listed there.
>
> root at zynq:~# ls /sys/bus/soc/devices/soc0/amba.0/f8000000.slcr/
> driver/    modalias   power/     subsystem/ uevent
>

> Then we have also ACP (accelerator coherency port) which is the
> same case as axi2axi bridge. It means it is fixed hardware in SoC
> part and devices can be connect to it
> (It looks like arm-cci bus type).
>
> I know that others SoC are using soc {} node for adding
> soc IPs but that's not our case at least for now.
>
> If you think that SOC bus should just contain SoC specific
> things then we can call of_platform_populate without SoC bus
> parent to ensure that these devices are not listed there.
>
> Please correct me if something doesn't fit.

I don't have a strong opinion on things that are defined in FPGA
logic, they could be below soc0, in a separate soc1 node or
in some other top-level bus.

What I was mostly thinking of is board-level devices that are
not part of the soc address hierarchy, such as external clocks
or leds that just use GPIO lines.

	Arnd