[GIT PULL] Fourth Round of Renesas ARM Based SoC DT Updates for v3.15

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Apr 2 23:23:37 PDT 2014

Hi Magnus,

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM, Magnus Damm <magnus.damm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 01:44:28PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
>>> Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,
>>>
>>> Please consider this fourth round of Renesas ARM based SoC DT updates for v3.15.
>>>
>>> This pull request is based on the previous round of
>>> such requests, tagged as renesas-dt3-for-v3.15,
>>> which I have already sent a pull-request for.
>>>

>>> The following changes since commit 367aaaea1d6c6496695ffd06b49590b8cfcb8aa5:
>>>
>>>   ARM: shmobile: genmai: adapt dts to use native i2c driver (2014-02-18 11:35:30 +0900)
>>>
>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>
>>>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-dt4-for-v3.15
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've merged this into next/dt. However, a general comment on these patches:
>>
>>> Sergei Shtylyov (4):
>>>       ARM: shmobile: r8a7790: add Ether DT support
>>>       ARM: shmobile: lager: add Ether DT support
>>>       ARM: shmobile: r8a7791: add Ether DT support
>>>       ARM: shmobile: koelsch: add Ether DT support
>>
>> I think you should consider doing a generic binding for the ethernet
>> controller, that specifies the data that the driver needs as part of the device
>> tree contents. that way you don't have to add a new _data structure for every
>> new SoC that implements things -- from taking a brief look at the driver there
>> seems to be a bit of boiler plate and/or several parts that share common
>> feature sets already.
>>
>> Anyway, given the way the binding is written, this can be done later by adding
>> a generic compatible string that expects more properties, etc -- so it's not
>> something that needs to be done now. But I do recommend that as you add new
>> SoCs in the future (if you do).
>
> Hi Olof,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. If I understand your proposal correctly
> then you recommend us to make the driver more generic and
> configuration driven based on configuration from DT. In general I
> agree about this direction, but in the case of sh-eth this seems
> difficult due to huge differences between different IP variants. And
> to make it worse, the documentation is often of poor quality with no
> real IP version information. Because of this we keep knowledge in the
> driver and adjust behavior using the SoC number as suffix in the
> compatible string. The SoC number is the only "stable id" we have that
> is suitable for DT ABI unfortunately.
>
> Of course I welcome further data sharing, cleanups and bug fixes for
> this driver. If you can think of anything in particular please let me
> or one of the sh-eth developers know. I will do my best to help you.

My observation was mostly based on the fact that while there are a
number of tunables in the platform data, there seems to mostly be a
few different main collections of settings used. I.e. several of them
seem to share several of the tunables.

Maybe that's mostly coincidental, or maybe it's an indication that
most "similar-timeframe" SoCs used similar settings -- I don't know
enough to tell. Which is why I brought it up.

-Olof