FEC ethernet issues [Was: PL310 errata workarounds]

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Tue Apr 1 11:11:46 PDT 2014

On 04/01/2014 10:29 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 07:00:29AM -0700, Eric Nelson wrote:
>> Hi Russell,
>>
>> What value do you have for pad control register
>> IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_RGMII_TX_CTL (0x020E0388)?
>
> You're referring to the iMX6Q, the Hummingboard is iMX6S, so that's
> 0x20e06bc.  I have value 0x1b030.

Right. I missed that you were running on Solo.

>> I notice in some of the DTS files that this has a value of 0x100b0,
>> which seems wrong. Bit 16 seems to be a HYSteresis bit, and enabling
>> that seems wrong (also bit 7 seems wrong, as it's undefined in the RM).
>
> Yes, bit 7 should not be set as it's reserved, but this is ignored.
> Setting the hysteresis bit affects the input thresholds, and this signal
> is only ever used as an output.  While selecting HYS mode for an output
> may seem odd, that should not have any effect here.
>
> In any case, TX_CTL doesn't have much to do with it.  I've fully proved
> that the interface works fine under full duplex conditions, achieving
> 500Mbps transmit and 570-600Mbps receive with TCP connections (which is
> nicely beyond what freescale claim the hardware is capable of.)
>
> The phy needs TX_CTL asserted in order to transmit anything, so as it
> works in full duplex mode, this must be happening correctly.

It appears I'm gender-challenged and confused TX_CTL and RX_CTL.

My thought (and question) was whether the pad setup for "transmit
enable" to the i.MX is either being missed entirely, or arriving
late because of an internal pullup/pull down or other pad
misconfiguration.

The pad settings have every indication of being cut/pasted, which
made me question them.

> The FEC needs RX_CTL asserted to indicate that valid data is being
> received by the phy - if this was not being recognised by the FEC, full
> duplex mode wouldn't work.
>
> The last scenario is the error signals encoded onto TX_CTL/RX_CTL.  This
> is one area I can't comment on yet - monitoring these signals is not
> exactly easy (and requires two steady hands.)  However, I have briefly
> monitored these signals when running at 100mbit half-duplex. With the
> scope RX_CTL and triggering on it, I do see TX_CTL being raised by the
> FEC.
>
> Whether TX_CTL is raised by the FEC just before or after RX_CTL has been
> asserted I can't say yet.
>
> However, TX_CTL raised while RX_CTL is raised or toggling means that a
> collision has occurred.  TX_CTL should never be raised while RX_CTL
> indicates that there is a "carrier" present in half-duplex mode (and
> therefore there is already another ethernet station transmitting on
> the wire.)
>
> Remember, I'm seeing late collisions.  The only way that happens is if
> something starts transmitting after 64 bytes into an ethernet frame, and
> it implies that something is not noticing that the link is busy before it
> starts blurting out.

I guess we can rule out slew rate.

> I know that my hubs are fine - the 10mbit hub has been used over _many_
> years (it's more than 20 years old now) and has always been rock solid...
> unlike the 10/100 hub with a dodgy switch between the two segments which
> I can lock out the 10 mbit segment with enough 100mbit traffic.
>
> Let's also not forget that these signals run at 125MHz at gigabit speeds,
> and 2.5MHz at 10mbit...  if they were marginal at 10mbit, gigabit
> certainly would not work.

Based on this, I don't see how a badly-configured pad could produce the
symptoms you're seeing.