imprecise external abort using the flexcan driver on i.MX6Q

Lothar Waßmann LW at KARO-electronics.de
Mon Sep 30 07:06:34 EDT 2013

Hi,

Marc Kleine-Budde writes:
> On 09/27/2013 07:24 PM, Matt Sealey wrote:
> > Marc - I don't think FLEXCAN has changed layout at all in these areas.
> > The hardware always worked this way..
>
> All flexcan cores support the RX FIFO, the mx6 supports an additional
> mode for different acceptance filters.
>
> > The only difference here  is that the i.MX53 is doing something weird
> > on the bus. The i.MX6Q is giving the absolutely correct BRESP for the
> > transfer to the peripheral (in effect, a "go away, this is my data"
> > failure, which the CPU turns into an imprecise abort since it no idea
> > which transaction it committed aeons ago caused it).
> >
> > Writes to 0x90 to 0xDF while MCR[FEN] is set *should* cause a data
> > abort.. because it's not even a read-only region, it *should* be
> > totally inaccessible to the CPU.
> >
> > The question I have is, when MCR[FEN] is set on i.MX53, does reading
> > from those reserved registers give anything but 0's or garbage? I'm
> > curious, that's all, it doesn't really matter ;)
>
> The driver only read from message buffer 0, and uses buffer 8 for tx.
> The others are not accessed, unless in that chip start routine. We don't
> need this loop, it comes from the original driver. I think no one has
> ever noticed that bug, because all other CPUs have not complained.
>
> The driver without the loop is working on mx6 and Lothar is testing it
> on mx53.

I can confirm, that the driver still works on i.MX53 as before the
patch.
Is someone going to prepare a patch, or should I do it, as I was the
one who first brought up this issue?

Lothar Waßmann

Ka-Ro electronics GmbH | Pascalstraße 22 | D - 52076 Aachen
Phone: +49 2408 1402-0 | Fax: +49 2408 1402-10
Geschäftsführer: Matthias Kaussen
Handelsregistereintrag: Amtsgericht Aachen, HRB 4996

www.karo-electronics.de | info at karo-electronics.de