problem booting linux with qemu-system-arm -M spitz

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 09:51:03 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Waldemar Brodkorb <wbx at openadk.org> wrote:
> Hi Kernel hackers,
>
> I am trying to run Linux on Qemu/arm emulator with machine type
> spitz. In the past this worked fine.
> Now with Linux version 3.9.11 it does not boot anymore.
> (blank screen, no kernel messages)
>
> I used git bisect to find the commit, which breaks the boot:
> commit 4e8ee7de227e3ab9a72040b448ad728c5428a042
> Author: Will Deacon <will.deacon at arm.com>
> Date:   Wed Nov 23 12:26:25 2011 +0000
>
> I am using Qemu 1.6.0 on a Debian/x86_64 host.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>  Waldemar

On real hardware I see the same breakage after 3.2.
Marko diagnosed it and there is a pending patch:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-September/198444.html

There is indeed some MMU-related issue.
Probably the function could be called elsewhere during machine init
but I'm not so high in the food chain to dare to touch arm boot code
;)

Regards

Andrea