"cpufreq: fix serialization issues with freq change notifiers" breaks cpufreq too

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at sisk.pl
Mon Sep 9 17:08:25 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Monday, September 09, 2013 05:11:10 PM Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Sorry guys, I'm trying my best to stop this patch from propagating to
> stable and to get it fixed asap, so, the CC list might be a bit excessive.
> Also trying to fix the originally spare cc list, which makes it impossible
> for me to reply to the original thread, instead have to start a new one.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  What exactly was wrong with the
original CC list in particular?

> Commit
>
> commit dceff5ce18801dddc220d6238628619c93bc3cb6
> Author: Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar at linaro.org>
> Date:   Sun Sep 1 22:19:37 2013 +0530
>
>     cpufreq: fix serialization issues with freq change notifiers
>
> breaks .transition_ongoing counting.

Do you know how exactly it breaks that?  If so, care to share that knowledge?

> This leads to cpufreq-cpu0 not working any more. In particular switching the
> governor from performance to powersave directly after boot doesn't result in
> a frequency switch any more. Reverting this patch fixes the problem again.

However, this is a regression fix, so I'd prefer to fix the problem on top of
it instead of reverting this commit entirely.

> Tested with today's
> -next.
>
> Please, refrain from including into "stable" until clarified!

Well, dropping the commit altogether and dropping the "CC stable" tag are
equally disruptive at this point, so I think I'll just defer all of the
cpufreq fixes I wanted to push for 3.12 before the ending of the merge
window.

Thanks,
Rafael