[RFC 0/4] Create infrastructure for running C code from SRAM.

Emilio López emilio at elopez.com.ar
Wed Sep 4 15:52:36 EDT 2013

Hi,

El 03/09/13 13:44, Russ Dill escribió:
> This RFC patchset explores an idea for loading C code into SRAM.
> Currently, all the code I'm aware of that needs to run from SRAM is written
> in assembler. The most common reason for code needing to run from SRAM is
> that the memory controller is being disabled/ enabled or is already
> disabled. arch/arm has by far the most examples, but code also exists in
> powerpc and sh.
>
> The code is written in asm for two primary reasons. First so that markers
> can be put in indicating the size of the code they it can be copied. Second
> so that data can be placed along with text and accessed in a position
> independant manner.
>
> SRAM handling code is in the process of being moved from arch directories
> into drivers/misc/sram.c using device tree and genalloc [1] [2]. This RFC
> patchset builds on that, including the limitation that the SRAM address is
> not known at compile time. Because the SRAM address is not known at compile
> time, the code that runs from SRAM must be compiled with -fPIC. Even if
> the code were loaded to a fixed virtual address, portions of the code must
> often be run with the MMU disabled.
>
> The general idea is that for each SRAM user (such as an SoC specific
> suspend/resume mechanism) to create a group of sections. The section group
> is created with a single macro for each user, but end up looking like this:
>
> .sram.am33xx : AT(ADDR(.sram.am33xx) - 0) {
>    __sram_am33xx_start = .;
>    *(.sram.am33xx.*)
>    __sram_am33xx_end = .;
> }
>
> Any data or functions that should be copied to SRAM for this use should be
> maked with an appropriate __section() attribute. A helper is then added for
> translating between the original kernel symbol, and the address of that
> function or variable once it has been copied into SRAM. Once control is
> passed to a function within the SRAM section grouping, it can access any
> variables or functions within that same SRAM section grouping without
> translation.
>
> [1] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=4984c6
> [2] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg96504.html
>
> Russ Dill (4):
>    Misc: SRAM: Create helpers for loading C code into SRAM
>    ARM: SRAM: Add macro for generating SRAM resume trampoline
>    Misc: SRAM: Hack for allowing executable code in SRAM.
>    ARM: AM33XX: Move suspend/resume assembly to C
>
>   arch/arm/include/asm/suspend.h    |  14 ++
>   arch/arm/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S     |   2 +
>   arch/arm/mach-omap2/Makefile      |   2 +-
>   arch/arm/mach-omap2/pm33xx.c      |  50 ++---
>   arch/arm/mach-omap2/pm33xx.h      |  23 +--
>   arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep33xx.S   | 394 --------------------------------------
>   arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep33xx.c   | 309 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>   arch/arm/mach-omap2/sram.c        |  15 --
>   drivers/misc/sram.c               | 106 +++++++++-
>   include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h |   7 +
> [...]

I'm interested in this, as I'll need something like it for
suspend/resume on sunxi. Unfortunately, I only got the cover letter on
my email, and the web lakml archives don't seem to have the rest either.
After a bit of searching on Google I found a copy on linux-omap[1], but
it'd be great if I didn't have to hunt for the patches :)

I only have one comment, from a quick look at the code

+       memcpy((void *) chunk->addr, data, sz);
+       flush_icache_range(chunk->addr, chunk->addr + sz);

How would that behave on Thumb-2 mode? I believe that's the reason why
fncpy() got introduced[2] some time ago.

Thanks for working on this!

Emilio

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap@vger.kernel.org/msg94995.html
[2] http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg110706.html