3.12 merge window exynos cpufreq driver fails to build

Tomasz Figa t.figa at samsung.com
Wed Sep 4 11:04:33 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 04 of September 2013 10:41:31 Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Tomasz Figa <t.figa at samsung.com> wrote:
> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > On Wednesday 04 of September 2013 10:13:16 Josh Boyer wrote:
> >> Using Linus' tree as of this morning (v3.11-2654-g458c3f6), the
> >> exynos-cpufreq driver doesn't build because it includes a file that
> >> doesn't exist.
> >>
> >> + make -s ARCH=arm V=1 -j4 bzImage KALLSYMS_EXTRA_PASS=1
> >> arch/arm/kernel/return_address.c:63:2: warning: #warning "TODO:
> >> return_address should use unwind tables" [-Wcpp]
> >>
> >>  #warning "TODO: return_address should use unwind tables"
> >>
> >>   ^
> >>
> >> arch/arm/mm/dma-mapping.c:253:2: warning: #warning ARM Coherent DMA
> >> allocator does not (yet) support huge TLB [-Wcpp]
> >>
> >>  #warning ARM Coherent DMA allocator does not (yet) support huge TLB
> >>
> >>   ^
> >>
> >> drivers/cpufreq/exynos-cpufreq.c:21:22: fatal error: plat/cpu.h: No
> >> such file or directory
> >>
> >>  #include <plat/cpu.h>
> >>
> >>                       ^
> >>
> >> compilation terminated.
> >> make[2]: *** [drivers/cpufreq/exynos-cpufreq.o] Error 1
> >>
> >> I'm guessing that <plat/cpu.h> file is supposed to come from
> >> arch/arm/plat-samsung/include/plat/, but I don't see anything that
> >> specifies a -I there.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > Could you attach config that could be used to trigger this? Thanks in
> > advance.
>
> Attached.

Hmm, this does not look like config for kernel neither from Linus' nor
linux-next tree. The first thing I can see is CONFIG_ARCH_EXYNOS_MULTI
selected, which is not available in any mainline tree.

As for the build error itself, headers from plat/ are available for drivers
only in single platform builds, they can't be included when multiplatform
is enabled. The exynos-cpufreq driver is not multiplatform-aware yet and so
you get the failure.

Best regards,
Tomasz