Clock framework deadlock with external SPI clockchip

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Sep 4 06:06:06 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 04:22:29PM -0700, Mike Turquette wrote:
> Quoting Lars-Peter Clausen (2013-08-30 06:24:45)

> > === Clock chip driver ===        === SPI master driver ===
> >  clk_prepare_lock()
> >  spi_sync()
> >    wait_for_completion(X)

> Is there a synchronous equivalent to spi_sync()?

spi_sync() is synchronous?  Obviously everything is asynchronous up to
that point but the only way the driver can tell if the I/O completed is
using spi_sync() or the equivalent thereof.

If you're asking if there is a way of doing SPI I/O that isn't multi
threaded then there isn't, in order to keep pushing transfers into the
SPI controller to saturate the bus we have a high priority task to push
more data in.  SPI buses can be quite high bandwidth in some
applications.