[PROPOSAL] ARM/FDT: passing multiple binaries to a kernel

Ian Campbell Ian.Campbell at citrix.com
Wed Sep 4 04:55:55 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 10:43 +0200, Andre Przywara wrote:

> I am about to write up a more elaborate technical rationale describing
> the problems with multiboot on ARM:
>
> https://wiki.linaro.org/AndrePrzywara/Multiboot

Doesn't seem to exist? A search for "mulitboot" doesn't seem to throw up
the one you meant either.

> > So, is having a more generic solution really needed?
>
> Not necessarily needed, but useful, I think. As described above I don't
> see any technical obstacles of doing it in a more generic way, so we
> could as well go ahead with this. On x86 from time to time the need for
> additional binaries pops up (early microcode loading, for instance), so
> why not be be prepared.

I agree. There have also been occasions where people doing
disaggregation have wanted to start multiple initial domains, requiring
additional modules at load time. I don't think being generic and
extensible is costing too much here.

Ian.