pinctrl-mxs fails to parse function definitions from different .dts files

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de
Tue Sep 3 03:50:50 EDT 2013

Hello Shawn,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 07:51:29PM +0800, Shawn Guo wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:27:25AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > while when I move the definition of i2c1 at 1 into imx28.dtsi after i2c1 at 0
> > i2c1 probes just fine and also the pinmux-functions look right:
> >
> > 	# grep i2c1 /sys/kernel/debug/pinctrl/80018000.pinctrl/pinmux-functions
> > 	function: i2c1, groups = [ i2c1.0 i2c1.1 ]
> >
> > This is not intended, is it?
>
> Sorry.  I should have documented it somewhere, but this is intended.
> The driver requires all the pin groups for given function be sorted
> together in 'reg'.
The groups for the function i2c1 are sorted, i.e. i2c1.0 comes before
i2c1.1 :-) But honestly, it's very unconvenient to require this
grouping. It makes it impossible to define i2c1.1 in myimx28machine.dts
and so a nice advantage of being able to just include the vanilla
imx28.dtsi in my external dts file goes away :-(

So I would prefer a patch that gets rid of this restriction instead of a
patch that documents it.

Best regards
Uwe