HYP Kernel boot requirements

Santosh Shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Tue Nov 26 09:47:13 EST 2013

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 09:13 AM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 07:44:08PM +0000, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:

>>> Of course I recommend PSCI which covers both hotplug and suspend ;), but
>>> I guess it's not the case for OMAP5. Since OMAP has its own secondary
>>> booting protocol and CPU hotplug re-entry, can you not just use
>>> different entry point when the primary CPU was initially started in Hyp
>>> mode (e.g. omap5_hyp_secondary_startup)?
>>>
>> How will that solve the guest secondary boot failure case when using
>> the same kernel binary for guest-boot ? Even for primary CPU which
>> will be suspended it needs to resume already in HYP mode and its not
>> going to go through boot-loader. So the low power code needs to have
>> HYP switch code so that CPU resumes in HYP mode.
>
> Is it late to rewrite the OMAP5 firmware?

Well its ROM'ed unfortunately so no choice. OMAP5 ROM did implement
a secure API which lets you enter into HYP mode and thats the only
thing can be used.

> What I meant is that you have the same kernel binary but with two sets
> of entry points, or maybe a single set of entry points and some global
> variable that you set during cold boot if the primary CPU is entered in
> Hyp mode. So you change the boot loader to switch to Hyp before it
> starts the kernel and leave the additional switching to be done by the
> secondary entry points (or PM code) based on the variable you set during
> cold boot. But I would recommend rewriting the firmware.
>
>> I will look at PSCI more closely and see what can be done here.
>
> PSCI has a different secondary start-up and hotplug/suspend protocol and
> CPUs wake up in Hyp if available. But this requires changing your
> firmware, PSCI is not a kernel-only thing. Do you need to support both
> older and newer kernels with the OMAP5 firmware (and possibly same DT)?

Hmmm.. So thats rules out PSCI for OMAP5 then.

Keystone actually has nice way to deal with the problem since the
boot-monitor code can be patched up and hence I had no trouble
implementing the "CPU starts in HYP mode" requirement on it.

Regards,
Santosh