[RFC] ARM Generic Timer + Interaction with WFI on Cortex-A15

Marc C marc.ceeeee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 01:42:03 EST 2013

Hello Lorenzo,

> It is an A15 oddity and we should not care, given that this behaviour
> is platform specific and likely to fail in most common A15
> implementations.

I'm supporting a platform where this "oddity" is actually a relied-upon
feature. Our ARMv7-compliant MPCore implements the ARM Generic Timer per
spec. Our implementation isn't a constituent of a big.LITTLE
arrangement, and we'll never completely power-off all cores (we just use
WFI).

According to the documentation that currently exists, it seems that the
behavior of the ARM Generic Timer on cores like the A15 is really just
an attribute of that specific implementation. As you've alluded to,
there may be other implementations that are also usable when the CPUs
enter WFI. That said, do you object to having an optional boolean
property in the arch_timer DT binding [1] which allows users to override
the C3STOP flag? The default behavior would be as is currently
implemented, and for the odd machines we can add the new property to the DT.

Regards,
Marc

[1]
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/arch_timer.txt