N900 board code in 3.14

Sebastian Reichel sre at ring0.de
Thu Nov 21 18:51:13 EST 2013

Hi Tony,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:58:45AM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> Also, I just posted a patch to fix the eMMC that you may want to
> try out.

Let's move eMMC diskussion to that patch :)

> > > To me it seems that we should be able to add minimal panel entries to DT
> > > if we stick to existing standard bindings. Then the timings etc can be
> > > set up based on the compatible flag. So I would leave out the properties
> > > for ti,sdi-datapairs and ti,dss-source for now, and just set those in
> > > the driver based on the sony,acx565akm compatible flag. Or maybe it should
> > > be sony,acx565akm-n900 if there's some board specific configuration info.
> >
> > So we add reset-gpio and label to the DT data (they are panel
> > specific and independent of omapdss) and just hardcode "dsi.0"
> > with 2 data lanes into the driver? That sounds fine for me.
> >
> > If neither Tomi nor anybody else has better ideas I will cook a
> > patch for that. I'm not sure how to setup the vdds_sdi regulator for
> > omapdss, though. Is there an example for a legacy driver using a DT
> > regulator available?
>
> Not that I know of :)

Javier Martinez Canillas patch did what I was thinking of in [0].
My suggestion would be to add something like this pseudocode to
omapdss:

if(board_is_n900_dt()) {
    vdds_dsi = devm_regulator_get(&dpi.pdev->dev, "V28");
}

The problem is, that we do not want to name the regulator
"vdds_dsi", since it's not used exclusivly for omapdss.

In the future it can get the regulator via phandle of course.

> But I guess only the panel driver would need to parse the
> compatible flag and the rest of the DSS could still be initialize
> the legacy way if needed.

Yes, except of the regulator. I will try to get this working
tomorrow.

[0] http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg286896.html

-- Sebastian