Patches from ARM folks solicited for the -stable tree

Paul Walmsley paul at pwsan.com
Thu Nov 21 17:15:37 EST 2013

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 06:20:29PM +0000, Paul Walmsley wrote:

> > > That's all?
> >
> > The better we are at writing and testing our patches, the fewer -stable
> > candidates we'll have :-)
>
> No new device ids? quirks?

It's true that the focus here for -stable has mostly been for fixes for
code that causes some kind of crash or failure, rather than new device
support.  Including new device support could probably increase the amount
of -stable patches by quite a bit.  The problem with this is that it could
cause hard-to-find regressions in the -stable kernel.  For example, on
OMAP, adding support for a new device could potentially cause PM
regressions on the rest of the system, depending on how the driver
operates.  So the bar for those types of patches seems pretty high if it's
really intended to be a "stable" kernel.

> And if you aren't finding bugs in your code, then no one's using it :)

Yeah that's probably increasingly an issue for the older OMAP platforms
these days.

- Paul