Report from 2013 ARM kernel summit

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Nov 20 15:22:39 EST 2013

On 11/20/2013 01:02 PM, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Hiroshi Doyu <hdoyu at nvidia.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Rob Herring <robherring2 at gmail.com> wrote @ Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:45:02 +0100:

>>> I don't see how this can work. Typically you find a property and then
>>> read the relevant #*-cells to determine the size. Having multiple cell
>>> properties is asking for errors.
>>
>> The above was mentioned for PATCHv4 series[1], which used the arm,smmu
>> DT bindings,  "#stream-id-cells" in clients and "mmu-masters" in
>> iommu.
>>
>> In PATCHv5[2], we took the following DT binding where multiple cell
>> properties seem to work ok.
>>
>>   smmu_a: iommu at xxxxxxxx {
>>         #iommu-cells = <2>;
>>   };
>>
>>   smmu_b: iommu at xxxxxxxx {
>>         #iommu-cells = <3>;
>>   };
>>
>>   device_a {
>>          iommus = <&smmu_a param1 param2>,
>>                   <&smmu_b param1 param2 param3>;
>>   };
>>
>> This can describe the relation between a device and an iommu
>> independently. The number of params needed for each IOMMU can be
>> sepcified by #iommu-cells in its iommu entry.
>>
>>   device_a <-> smmu_a, needs 2 params for a device
>>   device_a <-> smmu_b, needs 3 params for a device
>>
>> For example, "smmu_a" can be an bus level global IOMMU where all child
>> devices can be an master of "smmu_a", and "smmu_b" is a local IOMMU
>> only for "device_a".
>>
>> "memory controller"---"smmu_a"---bus--+--"smmu_b"--"device_a"
>>                                       +--"device_b"
>
> I think the above binding would be the correct way to describe things
> if you have 1 device connected to 2 IOMMUs (directly rather than
> chained). IIUC, that is something you have on tegra?

I'm not sure that we do, but perhaps; Hiroshi will have to answer.
Certainly whenever I personally mentioned chained IOMMUs it was simply
in the context of making sure the bindings allowed for any potential
arbitrary HW configuration, not because I had specific knowledge of one
that actually exists.

> For the topology above where you are chaining iommu's, I think
> something like this is more accurately describing the hierarchy:
>
>   smmu_b: iommu at xxxxxxxx {
>         #iommu-cells = <3>;
>          iommus = <&smmu_a param1 param2>;
>   };
>   device_a {
>          iommus = <&smmu_b param1 param2 param3>;
>   };
>
> I remember discussing this with Will and seem to recall some issue
> with describing things this way. But looking at it now, I don't see
> what that was.

That's the DT content I would expect for that scenario.

The syntax:

>>          iommus = <&smmu_a param1 param2>,
>>                   <&smmu_b param1 param2 param3>;

... I would expect to be useful if a single device was a bus-master on
multiple buses, and each bus had a path to memory via a different IOMMU.
One example might be a DMA controller that bridges two buses. We
certainly have such a DMA controller on Tegra, although IIRC, the
upstream path to memory would pass through the same IOMMU from both
buses on current HW that I'm familiar with.