Report from 2013 ARM kernel summit

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 14:47:58 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Thierry Reding
<thierry.reding at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:31:11AM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
>> >
>> > The above proposal would be an incompatible change. However, I think we
>> > could still deal with a change in this binding at this stage.
>> >
>> > One way approach to handle this without changing the binding would be to
>> > scan the DT for all iommu's up front and create a list of all nodes and
>> > their iommu parent. The fact that the hierarchy is described in a way
>> > that doesn't fit Linux well is really a Linux implementation detail.
>> >
>> > If changing the binding, a simple approach would be to allow
>> > 'smmu-parent' to be a bus and/or device property and not just for
>> > chained iommu's. This could be a global or bus property that is
>> > inherited. Like interrupt-parent, you would have to deal with the parent
>> > being itself. Also, perhaps iommu-parent would be a better name. In any
>> > case, I'd like to see this all be a generic iommu binding.
>>
>> I like that idea. I've recently been toying with removing the chained IOMMU
>> support, since I don't think anybody is using it who is interested in
>> mainline. However, making it more general sounds like a better idea.
>>
>> One potential issue is that I think the nvidia guys want to describe masters
>> that master via multiple SMMUs (which I believe was the motivation for
>> moving the stream-ids out into the master nodes, rather than keeping them in
>> the SMMU). Again, that's not something we can easily add to the arm-smmu,
>> because the incoming stream-ids are a property of the SMMU node.
>
> If I remember correctly, one of the reasons for the proposal was also
> that the interrupt-parent property turned out to be insufficient for
> some use-cases, which lead to Grant's proposal of the new interrupts-
> extended property. Since that comparison has already been drawn, I think
> we can agree that both are used in similar ways. Therefore we should
> consider what we've learned from interrupt-parent when designing this
> generic IOMMU binding to avoid having to introduce iommu-extended at
> some point.

The problem in that case is really the interrupts property not having
a phandle. This case would be a bit different because there is not an
analogous property to interrupts.

However, I don't really like connections described via phandles being
done differently for different bindings. And this one has been a bit
unusual.

>> So the question is: do we actually need to describe masters that master
>> through multiple SMMUs as a single node in the devicetree?
>
> I would think so, yes. The alternative would be to have several nodes
> that describe the same device, and that conflicts on a different level.
>
> Perhaps it could be done by having separate sub-nodes that each use a
> different IOMMU, but that sounds like a much grosser solution. That
> pretty much boils down to interrupt-parent/interrupt-map.

Perhaps not within the DT, but we could have this case with IOMMUs
within PCIe bus and the PCIe RC itself behind an IOMMU.

I'll reply to Hiroshi's email with more on a variation of his proposal.

Rob