[BUG,REGRESSION?] 3.11.6+,3.12: GbE iface rate drops to few KB/s

Willy Tarreau w at 1wt.eu
Wed Nov 20 13:15:32 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 09:40:22AM -0800, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 18:34 +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>
> > One important point, I was looking for the other patch you pointed
> > in this long thread and finally found it :
> >
> > > So
> > > http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net.git/commit/?id=98e09386c0ef4dfd48af7ba60ff908f0d525cdee
> > >
> > > restored this minimal amount of buffering, and let the bigger amount for
> > > 40Gb NICs ;)
> >
> > This one definitely restores original performance, so it's a much better
> > bet in my opinion :-)
>
> I don't understand. I thought you were using this patch.

No, I was on latest stable (3.10.19) which exhibits the regression but does
not yet have your fix above. Then I tested the patch your proposed in this
thread, then this latest one. Since the patch is not yet even in Linus'
tree, I'm not sure Arnaud has tried it yet.

> I guess we are spending time on a already solved problem.

That's possible indeed. Sorry if I was not clear enough, I tried.

Regards,
Willy