ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 10:37:51 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:45:19PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 05:21:54PM -0400, Rob Clark wrote:
> > ahh, ok.  Yeah, we do need some way to make this easier, as it is a
> > too-common pattern.  I do think we do need a way to know if something
> > is missing because it isn't there vs it hasn't been probed yet.  Ie.
> > late_initcall() is not the awesome solution.
>
> On this topic, I now have a solution to this which is not DRM specific,
> nor is it DT specific.
>
> It's a core piece of code which gathers up the struct device pointers,
> and a callback for the master device to assemble the components and
> indicate when the master is complete.
>
> Here's an example:
>
>         imx-drm {
>                 compatible = "fsl,drm";
>                 /* Both CRTCs (can't specify which here) */
>                 crtcs = <&ipu1>, <&ipu1>;
>                 connectors = <&hdmi>;
>         };
>
> &hdmi {
>         pinctrl-names = "default";
>         pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_carrier1_hdmi>;
>         ddc = <&i2c2>;
>         status = "okay";
>         crtcs = <&ipu1 0>;
> };
>
> The HDMI driver's probe and remove functions look like this:
>
> static int imx_hdmi_platform_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)
> {
>         return component_add(&pdev->dev, &hdmi_ops);
> }
>
> static int imx_hdmi_platform_remove(struct platform_device *pdev)
> {
>         component_del(&pdev->dev, &hdmi_ops);
>         return 0;
> }
>
> These register the device into the component layer, with a set of
> operations for binding and unbinding the device.
>
> The master device (imx-drm) does this:
>
> static const struct component_master_ops imx_drm_ops = {
>         .add_components = imx_drm_add_components,
>         .bind = imx_drm_bind,
>         .unbind = imx_drm_unbind,
> };
>
> static int imx_drm_platform_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)
> {
>         return component_master_add(&pdev->dev, &imx_drm_ops);
> }
>
> static int imx_drm_platform_remove(struct platform_device *pdev)
> {
>         component_master_del(&pdev->dev, &imx_drm_ops);
>         return 0;
> }
>
> so registering the master device.  imx_drm_add_components() gets called
> whenever something gets added, and this function is responsible for
> assembling the registered components and indicating when the master is
> complete:
>
> static int imx_drm_add_components(struct device *master, struct master *m)
> {
>         struct device_node *np = master->of_node;
>         unsigned i;
>         int ret;
>
>         for (i = 0; ; i++) {
>                 struct device_node *node;

> [...]

Very nice. This is in fact very similar to a skeleton I started to
implement locally. The names vary to some degree, but the general
approach is the same.

This also happens to be very similar to what Tegra DRM does, just as a
set of helpers rather than a bus type. I like it a lot.

In particular this gives every driver a good amount of flexibility to
implement the matching in a way that's appropriate. On hardware where
the relationships are hierarchical, a driver can use that to its
advantage. Whenever that's not possible it can be done using phandles
or any other meta data that fits the particular use-case.

Do you have a branch somewhere that I could use to test this with?

Thierry