ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Mon Nov 18 08:57:27 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 01:40:22PM +0000, Grant Likely wrote:

> Some hardware does that. That's what OHCI, EHCI, UHCI, XHCI, SDHCI, and
> similar are all about. It always helps when well understood hardware
> follows a register interface. It doesn't work for everything, but I
> agree it would be good to have preferred hw interfaces for SPI & I2C.

You'd need something class based like USB, there's such massive
variation in what the hardware is trying to do and the tradeoffs.  A big
issue is that especially with I2C many of the devices are primarily
analogue devices implemnted in larger processes where the cost of adding
additional digital logic can have a noticeable effect on the area and
hence cost of the silicon.