pci-mvebu driver on km_kirkwood

Gerlando Falauto gerlando.falauto at keymile.com
Mon Nov 4 09:49:59 EST 2013

Hi folks,

thank you for your patience...

So, thanks to Thierry's example:

https://gitorious.org/thierryreding/linux/commit/b85c03d73288f6e376fc158ceac30f29680b4192

and Jason's explanation:

 > The reg must encode the bus number according to the OF format:
 >
 >                 33222222 22221111 11111100 00000000
 >                 10987654 32109876 54321098 76543210
 >   phys.hi cell: npt000ss bbbbbbbb dddddfff rrrrrrrr
 > phys.mid cell: hhhhhhhh hhhhhhhh hhhhhhhh hhhhhhhh
 >   phys.lo cell: llllllll llllllll llllllll llllllll
 >
 > bbbbbbbb is the 8-bit Bus Number
 > ddddd is the 5-bit Device Number
 > fff is the 3-bit Function Number
 >
 > Others are 0.

I'm finally starting to make some sense out of this, and I checked that
Jason's statement is indeed true, at least on 3.10:

 > Device tree can include the discovered PCI devices, you have to use
 > the special reg encoding and all that weirdness, but it does work. The
 > of_node will be attached to the struct pci device automatically.

[Hi latency was also due to other activities, not just the low
throughput of my brain cells] ;-)

I have one last question for Thierry though: what's the point of things
such as

+					pci at 0,0 {
+						compatible = "opencores,spi";

(apart from clarity, of course)?
I mean, wouldn't the driver be bound to the device through its PCI
vendor ID / device ID?
Are we also supposed to register a platform driver based on a compatible
string instead?

Thanks again guys!
Gerlando