mxsfb: DATA_FORMAT_24_BIT flag outputs invalid colours

maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Fri May 24 04:11:56 EDT 2013

Hi Juergen,

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 03:31:31PM +0200, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
>
> maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com wrote:
> > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 01:55:28PM +0200, Hector Palacios wrote:
> > > I'm using an i.MX28 based board with lcd connected with 18bits data bus.
> > > My platform uses 32 bits per pixel:
> > >
> > > 	mxsfb_pdata.default_bpp = 32;
> > > 	mxsfb_pdata.ld_intf_width = STMLCDIF_18BIT;
> > >
> > > With these settings the mxsfb.c driver sets flag DATA_FORMAT_24_BIT
> > > at HW_LCDIF_CTRL register in function mxsfb_set_par():
> > >
> > > 	case 32:
> > > 		dev_dbg(&host->pdev->dev, "Setting up RGB888/666 mode\n");
> > > 		ctrl |= CTRL_SET_WORD_LENGTH(3);
> > > 		switch (host->ld_intf_width) {
> > > 		case STMLCDIF_8BIT:
> > > 			dev_dbg(&host->pdev->dev,
> > > 					"Unsupported LCD bus width mapping\n");
> > > 			return -EINVAL;
> > > 		case STMLCDIF_16BIT:
> > > 		case STMLCDIF_18BIT:
> > > 			/* 24 bit to 18 bit mapping */
> > > 			ctrl |= CTRL_DF24; /* ignore the upper 2 bits in
> > > 					    *  each colour component
> > > 					    */
> > > 			break;
> > > 		case STMLCDIF_24BIT:
> > > 			/* real 24 bit */
> > > 			break;
> > > 		}
> > >
> > > According to the manual, this flag does:
> > > 	0x0: ALL_24_BITS_VALID: Data input to the block is in 24 bpp
> > > format, such that all RGB 888 data is contained in 24 bits.
> > > 	0x1: DROP_UPPER_2_BITS_PER_BYTE — Data input to the block is
> > > actually RGB 18 bpp, but there is 1 colour per byte, hence the upper
> > > 2 bits in each byte do not contain any useful data, and should be
> > > dropped.
> > >
> > > The setting of this flag is producing bad colours with true colour
> > > images (i.e. the Linux penguin is displayed ok, but QT applications
> > > or images displayed with fbv are not).
> > > I believe the setting of this flag is not correct (after all, if my
> > > bpp is 32, then all 24bit colours are useful and dropping the upper
> > > 2 bits is a bad idea).
> > > If I don't set it, then true colour images are displayed correctly.
> > > The only problem is that the Linux penguin is displayed much darker
> > > than usual (correct colours, but darker). Perhaps the 224 colour
> > > format of this image justifies it?
> > >
> > > I noticed the cfa10049 platform also uses the same configuration (18
> > > bits data bus and 32bpp) and was wondering if true colour images are
> > > correctly displayed in this platform with this flag set (for example
> > > with fbv application [1]).
> >
> > I had the exact same problem, and suggested the exact same solution a
> > few weeks back.
> >
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2470441/
> >
> > The conclusion of that discussion what that the userspace applications
> > were not honouring the bitfield correctly set by the mxsfb driver, and
> > as such, it was not a bug in the driver.
> >
> > While this is correct, I wonder, now that since we had that same problem
> > in a very short amount of time, if we couldn't set this behaviour
> [...]

I'm in the second case, so with the same setup that you have it seems.

Don't get me wrong, I was not saying that the driver was flawed or had a
bug, I understood very well your arguments when I first submitted the
patch. The problem is more for all the userspace applications that don't
honour the bitfield and just look at the color depth used to feed data
to the framebuffer.

I must admit that the ideal case should be that these applications
should be fixed, but it's not realistic.

About QT, let's not use it as an example, the issues I had were probably
some miscompilation on my side, and if you say that it works fine, then
I trust you.

This is also why I suggested a kernel argument to enable a different
"compatibility" mode when you have to deal with these kind of
applications on your system. the pixel bitfield should probably be
changed as well so that applications honouring it are not confused.

Hector's case looks like a different story though.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com