Introduce a new helper framework for buffer synchronization

Inki Dae inki.dae at samsung.com
Thu May 23 09:37:19 EDT 2013

Actually,
> [...]
> >>                               enum dma_data_direction direction)
> >>
> >> Note that "sync" here only means to synchronize caches, not wait for
> any
> >> outstanding fences. This is simply to be consistent with the
> established
> >> lingo of the dma api. How the dma-buf fences fit into this is imo a
> >> different topic, but my idea is that all the cache coherency barriers
> >> (i.e. dma_buf_map/unmap_attachment, dma_buf_sync_sg_attachment and
> >> dma_buf_begin/end_cpu_access) would automatically block for any
> attached
> >> fences (i.e. block for write fences when doing read-only access, block
> for
> >> all fences otherwise).
> >
> > As I mentioned already, kernel can't aware of when cpu accesses a shared
> > buffer: user can access a shared buffer after mmap anytime and the
> shared
> > buffer should be synchronized between cpu and dma. Therefore, the above
> > cache coherency barriers should be called every time cpu and dma tries
> > access a shared buffer, checking before and after of cpu and dma access.
> And
> > exactly, the proposed way do such thing. For this, you can refer to the
> > below link,
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg62124.html
> >
> > My point is that how kernel can aware of when those cache coherency
> barriers
> > should be called to synchronize caches and buffer access between cpu and
> > dma.
> >

> >> Then we could do a new dma_buf_attach_flags interface for special cases
> >> (might also be useful for other things, similar to the recently added
> >> flags in the dma api for wc/no-kernel-mapping/...). A new flag like
> >> DMA_BUF_ATTACH_NO_AUTOFENCE would then mean that the driver takes care
> of
> >> all
> >> fencing for this attachment and the dma-buf functions should not do the
> >> automagic fence blocking.

> implement
> and
> >> how
> sharing
> >> and
> >> mechanism,
> >>
> >> I think it's important to differentiate between the two meanings of
> sync:
> >> - synchronize caches (i.e. cpu cache flushing in most cases)
> >> - and synchronize in-flight dma with fences.
> >>

> > Agree, and I meant that the buffer synchronization mechanism includes
> the
> > above two things. And I think the two things should be addressed
> together.
>
> I'm still confused about what you're trying to achive in the big
> picture here exactly. I think the key point is your statement above
> that the kernel can't know when the cpu access a dma-buf. That's not
> true though:
>
> For userspace mmaps the kernel can shoot down ptes and so prevent

In this case, cpu access to user space will incur page fault. However, cpu
accesses user space region after mmap in user mode and every time user
wants. And user needs something before passing a buffer accessed into device
driver and also vice versa.

> Since that's pretty inefficient
> gem/ttm have additional ioctls for cache coherency transitions.

Yes, that's the something, and that's a way now we are using if I understood
surely. User side calls those ioctls for cache coherency between cpu and
dma: cache clean after cpu access and before dma access, and cache
invalidate after dma access and before cpu access. I thought it's better to
control cache in kernel side than user because I had found some Linux based
platforms overuse cache operations. So I thought the best place for it is
the proposed fence helper or similar thing: we would need interfaces to
notify the moment, 'before and after of cpu access', into kernel side. My
proposal is to couple those two things, synchronizing caches and in-flight
dma with fences, in kernel side. With this approach, user doesn't need to
care when dma and cpu access will be started, and when dma and cpu access
will be completed anymore when user wants to access a buffer and share it
with dma. All things, cache coherency and buffer fencing between dma and
cpu, will be done in kernel side.

> dma_buf currently has no support for explicit coherency transitions
> from userpsace, so if pte shootdown is an issue we need to improve
> that.
>
> If I read your proposal correctly you instead suggest to _alway_ flush
> cache before/after each dma. That will _completely_ kill performance
> (been there with i915, trust me).

In case of using a cachable mapped buffer and sharing the buffer with dma,
we need to clean cache after cpu access and before dma access, and we need
to invalidate cache after dma access and before cpu access every time. Isn't
that we are doing so now? I have a little knowledge about Desktop world so
there might be my misunderstanding.

Could you please give me advices and more comments if there is my missing
point or misunderstanding?

> For cpu access from kernel space we already have explicit mappings all
> over the place (kmap&friends), so I don't see any issues with
> inserting the relevant begin/end_cpu_access calls just around the cpu
> access. The big exception is the framebuffer layer, but even that has
> the deferred io support. KMS otoh has a nice frontbuffer dirty
> interface to correctly support dumb clients, unfortunately fbcon does
> not (yet) use that.
>
> For these reasons I don't see a need to smash cache coherency and
> fencing into one problem, and hence why I've proposed to tackle each
> of them individually.

I might be really missing some points :)

Thanks,
Inki Dae