Introduce a new helper framework for buffer synchronization

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon May 20 17:30:33 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:13:04PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 03:47:43PM +0900, Inki Dae wrote:

I think my mail here was a bit unclear, so let me try to rephrase.
Re-reading through part of this discussion I think you raise some good
shortcomings of the current dma_buf interfaces and the proposed fence
patches. But I think we should address the individual pieces bit-by-bit.
On a quick survey I see a few parts to what you're trying to solve:

- More efficient cache coherency management. I think we already have all
  required interfaces for efficient cpu-side access with
  begin/end_cpu_access. So I think we only need a device-side dma sync
  mechanism to be able to flush cpu caches after userspace/cpu access has
  completed (before the next dma op).

- More efficient mmap handling. The current dma_buf mmap support is
  explicitly designed as something simply, but probably dead-slow for
  last-resort fallback ops. I'm not sure whether we should fix this up and
  extend with special ioctls. But the current coherency interface should
  be good enough for you to write an efficient private mmap implementation
  for exynos drm.

- Integration of fence syncing into dma_buf. Imo we should have a
  per-attachment mode which decides whether map/unmap (and the new sync)
  should wait for fences or whether the driver takes care of syncing
  through the new fence framework itself (for direct hw sync). Imo cpu
  access should also have such a flag. I guess in both cases we should
  sync by default.

- cpu/cpu sync additions to dma_buf. Like I've said, I'm not sold at all
  on this idea. I think it would be best if we try to fix up all the other
  current shortcomings first though and then take a fresh look at this
  issue here.

Have I missed or misunderstood something?

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation