hwrng: picoxcell: PICOXCELL_PC3X3?

Jamie Iles jamie at jamieiles.com
Wed May 15 05:51:11 EDT 2013

Hi Paul,

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:02:57AM +0200, Paul Bolle wrote:
> 0) Support for "Picochip picoXcell true random number generator[s]" was
> added in commit 5efb94ee14 ("hwrng: pixocell - add support for picoxcell
> TRNG"). Its Kconfig symbol (HW_RANDOM_PICOXCELL) depends on
> PICOXCELL_PC3X3. But that symbol is not included in mainline. I found no
> trace of it ever since support for this TRNG got added in v2.6.39. This
> means this code has never been buildable in mainline.
>
> Why does this code depend on PICOXCELL_PC3X3?

The driver went in before the machine support itself, which got reworked
for device tree.  There's still some work needed to make the clocks work
properly so that the driver can use them (they're currently maintained
out of tree by Mindspeed, Picochip's new owner).

> 1) Slightly related: by what magic are picoxcell-pc7302-pc3x3.dts and
> picoxcell-pc3x3.dtsi hooked into the build system? Or are dts and dtsi
> files, well, special and not directly linked into the build system?

There isn't a defconfig at the moment - I've just done my dts builds
manually.

Jamie