GPIO sysfs : set a wake source

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue May 14 12:08:23 EDT 2013

On 05/14/2013 03:29 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Robert Jarzmik <robert.jarzmik at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking on how to remove all "gpio_request()" from my board code
>> (arch/arm/mach-pxa/mioa701.c).
>>
>> I have a small difficulty with the functionality provided by gpiolib in
>> userspace. This is what I need :
>>  - define a gpio as an input
>>  - define this gpio to be an interrupt source
>>  - define this interrupt to be a wake-up source
>
> This sounds like trying to remove board code by moving it to userspace
> and basically starting to implement stuff that belongs in the kernel
> in userspace just because someone says we should get rid of board
> files :-)
>
> Don't go down this path, let the kernel handle this kind of stuff.
>
> Instead figure out how to make the subsystems we have and the
> device trees express what you want to do.
>
> In another thread I suggested that we add a GPIO "hogging"
> mechanism to gpiolib, so that the gpio subsystem can by itself
> "hog" (get) some GPIOs and set them up in certain modes.
> This closely matches what the pin control subsystem will do
> with some such things.
>
> What do you think about this idea?

There's some merit to discussing the use of "GPIO hogging" for the
purpose of solving interactions between the IRQ and GPIO subsystems

However, the discussion above sounds like simply a list of GPIOs to
initialize at boot for the sole purpose of GPIO initialization. I
thought that had been discussed before and nak'd?