Introduce a new helper framework for buffer synchronization

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue May 14 09:38:40 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Inki Dae <inki.dae at samsung.com> wrote:
>> well, for cache management, I think it is a better idea.. I didn't
>> really catch that this was the motivation from the initial patch, but
>> maybe I read it too quickly.  But cache can be decoupled from
>> synchronization, because CPU access is not asynchronous.  For
>> userspace/CPU access to buffer, you should:
>>
>>   1) wait for buffer
>>   2) prepare-access
>>   3)  ... do whatever cpu access to buffer ...
>>   4) finish-access
>>   5) submit buffer for new dma-operation
>>

> For data flow from CPU to DMA device,
> 1) wait for buffer
> 2) prepare-access (dma_buf_begin_cpu_access)
> 3) cpu access to buffer
>

> For data flow from DMA device to CPU
> 1) wait for buffer

Right, but CPU access isn't asynchronous (from the point of view of
the CPU), so there isn't really any wait step at this point.  And if
you do want the CPU to be able to signal a fence from userspace for
some reason, you probably what something file/fd based so the
refcnting/cleanup when process dies doesn't leave some pending DMA
action wedged.  But I don't really see the point of that complexity
when the CPU access isn't asynchronous in the first place.

BR,
-R