Introduce a new helper framework for buffer synchronization

Inki Dae inki.dae at samsung.com
Mon May 13 08:21:18 EDT 2013

I have considered all devices sharing buffer with CPU; multimedia, display
controller and graphics devices (including GPU). And we could provide
easy-to-use user interfaces for buffer synchronization. Of course, the
proposed user interfaces may be so ugly yet but at least, I think we need
something else for it.

> In that case you still wouldn't give userspace control over the fences. I
> don't see any way that can end well.
> What if userspace never signals? What if userspace gets killed by oom
> killer. Who keeps track of that?

In all cases, all kernel resources to user fence will be released by kernel
once the fence is timed out: never signaling and process killing by oom
killer makes the fence timed out. And if we use mmap mechanism you mentioned
before, I think user resource could also be freed properly.

Thanks,
Inki Dae