Introduce a new helper framework for buffer synchronization

Inki Dae inki.dae at samsung.com
Mon May 13 07:24:01 EDT 2013

DMA_BUF_ACCESS_WRITE;

> >> NAK.
> >>
> >> Userspace doesn't need to trigger fences. It can do a buffer idle wait,
> >> and postpone submitting new commands until after it's done using the
> >> buffer.
> > Hi Maarten,
> >
> > It seems that you say user should wait for a buffer like KDS does: KDS
> uses
> > select() to postpone submitting new commands. But I think this way
> assumes
> > that every data flows a DMA device to a CPU. For example, a CPU should
> keep
> > polling for the completion of a buffer access by a DMA device. This
> means
> > that the this way isn't considered for data flow to opposite case; CPU
> > DMA device.
> Not really. You do both things the same way. You first wait for the bo to
> be idle, this could be implemented by adding poll support to the dma-buf
> fd.
> Then you either do your read or write. Since userspace is supposed to be
> the one controlling the bo it should stay idle at that point. If you have
> another thread queueing
> the buffer againbefore your thread is done that's a bug in the
application,
> and can be solved with userspace locking primitives. No need for the
> kernel to get involved.

Yes, that is how we have synchronized buffer between CPU and DMA device
until now without buffer synchronization mechanism. I thought that it's best
to make user not considering anything: user can access a buffer regardless
of any DMA device controlling and the buffer synchronization is performed in
kernel level. Moreover, I think we could optimize graphics and multimedia
hardware performance because hardware can do more works: one thread accesses
a shared buffer and the other controls DMA device with the shared buffer in
parallel. Thus, we could avoid sequential processing and that is my
intention. Aren't you think about that we could improve hardware utilization
with such way or other? of course, there could be better way.

> >> Kernel space doesn't need the root hole you created by giving a
> >> dereferencing a pointer passed from userspace.
> >> Your next exercise should be to write a security exploit from the api
> you
> >> created here. It's the only way to learn how to write safe code. Hint:
> >> df.ctx = mmap(..);
> >>
> > Also I'm not clear to use our way yet and that is why I posted. As you
> > mentioned, it seems like that using mmap() is more safe. But there is
> one
> > issue it makes me confusing. For your hint, df.ctx = mmap(..), the issue
> is
> > that dmabuf mmap can be used to map a dmabuf with user space. And the
> dmabuf
> > means a physical memory region allocated by some allocator such as drm
> gem
> > or ion.
> >
> > There might be my missing point so could you please give me more
> comments?
> >
> My point was that userspace could change df.ctx to some mmap'd memory,
> forcing the kernel to execute some code prepared by userspace.

Understood. I have to find a better way. And for this, I'd like to listen
attentively more opinions and advices.

Thanks for comments,
Inki Dae