[RFC 1/8] serial:st-asc: Add ST ASC driver.

Stuart MENEFY stuart.menefy at st.com
Fri May 10 11:40:58 EDT 2013

On 10/05/13 16:23, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 04:45:15PM +0200, Ben Dooks wrote:

>>> I agree, why are you trying to create a new tty device name?  Can't you
>>> use the existing ttyS name and minor number as you will not have any
>>> other type of serial device on this system?
>>
>> This would be an issue on systems that either accept plug-in cards
>> such as PCMCIA/CardBus/PCI or have additional off SoC IO spaces
>> where 8250 compatible UARTS could live.
>
> I thought these were set-top box systems that couldn't accept any
> plug-in cards or anything else?  This is a SoC, right?

Correct, it is a SoC intended for set-top-box systems. But they are also
expandable and have a PCIe root complex. In the final system this would
normally be used for things like WiFi, but in development boards these
are brought out to generic PCIe slots where pretty much anything can be
plugged in.

We've also had systems in the dim and distant past which used memory
mapped external super I/O controllers which had 8250 compatible serial
ports.

So while its not usual, we have had systems with both ASC and 8250
compatible serial ports, which is why we'd like to keep the option open.

Stuart