DMA mapping API abuse in exynos-drm

Marek Szyprowski m.szyprowski at samsung.com
Wed May 8 05:44:02 EDT 2013

Hello,

On 5/6/2013 7:59 AM, Inki Dae wrote:
> 2013/5/5 Tomasz Figa <tomasz.figa at gmail.com
> <mailto:tomasz.figa at gmail.com>>
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Recently I've been working a bit on a DRM driver for the GPU of
>     Samsung
>     S3C6410 SoCs, which required me to familiarize a bit with
>     exynos-drm, as
>     it already contains a KMS driver which is compatible with the SoC I'm
>     working with, making it a good place to put my driver in.
>
>     Reading through exynos_drm_buf.c I stumbled across following (a
>     bit long)
>     piece of code:
>
>             dma_set_attr(DMA_ATTR_NO_KERNEL_MAPPING, &buf->dma_attrs);
>
>             nr_pages = buf->size >> PAGE_SHIFT;
>
>             if (!is_drm_iommu_supported(dev)) {
>                     dma_addr_t start_addr;
>                     unsigned int i = 0;
>
>                     buf->pages = kzalloc(sizeof(struct page) * nr_pages,
>                                             GFP_KERNEL);
>                     if (!buf->pages) {
>                             DRM_ERROR("failed to allocate pages.\n");
>                             return -ENOMEM;
>                     }
>
>                     buf->kvaddr = dma_alloc_attrs(dev->dev, buf->size,
>     &buf->dma_addr, GFP_KERNEL,
>     &buf->dma_attrs);
>                     if (!buf->kvaddr) {
>                             DRM_ERROR("failed to allocate buffer.\n");
>                             kfree(buf->pages);
>                             return -ENOMEM;
>                     }
>
>                     start_addr = buf->dma_addr;
>                     while (i < nr_pages) {
>                             buf->pages[i] = phys_to_page(start_addr);
>                             start_addr += PAGE_SIZE;
>                             i++;
>                     }
>             } else {
>
>                     buf->pages = dma_alloc_attrs(dev->dev, buf->size,
>     &buf->dma_addr, GFP_KERNEL,
>     &buf->dma_attrs);
>                     if (!buf->pages) {
>                             DRM_ERROR("failed to allocate buffer.\n");
>                             return -ENOMEM;
>                     }
>             }
>
>             buf->sgt = drm_prime_pages_to_sg(buf->pages, nr_pages);
>             if (!buf->sgt) {
>                     DRM_ERROR("failed to get sg table.\n");
>                     ret = -ENOMEM;
>                     goto err_free_attrs;
>             }
>
>     Notice that the value returned by dma_alloc_attrs() is assumed by this
>     code to be either a kernel virtual address (in
>     !is_drm_iommu_supported()
>     case) or struct pages ** (in is_drm_iommu_supported() case), which
>     seemed
>     a bit worrying to me, making me do a more in depth research on how
>     dma_alloc_attrs works.
>
>     This, in turn, led me to following excerpt of Documentation/DMA-
>     attributes.txt :
>
>     DMA_ATTR_NO_KERNEL_MAPPING
>     --------------------------
>
>     DMA_ATTR_NO_KERNEL_MAPPING lets the platform to avoid creating a
>     kernel
>     virtual mapping for the allocated buffer. On some architectures
>     creating
> [...]

IMHO this case simply shows that ExynosDRM driver should manage IO address
space on it's own, because DMA-mapping api is too limited. ExynosDRM is
unlikely to be used on a hardware other than Samsung Exynos, so it can
better use hardware if it access IOMMU and CMA subsystems directly and
have its own address space manager to avoid hacking in internal structures
of dma-mapping.

Best regards
--
Marek Szyprowski