[RFC 1/2] ARM: OMAP2+: AM33XX: I2C Sleep/wake sequence support

Russ Dill Russ.Dill at ti.com
Wed May 1 19:37:56 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com> wrote:

> * Russ Dill <Russ.Dill at ti.com> [130501 12:07]:
> > This patch adds the ability to write an I2C sleep sequence from
> > SRAM just before WFI, and a wake sequence just after control is passed
> > from the M3. This is useful for adjusting voltages during sleep that cannot
> > be lowered while SDRAM is active.
> >
> > Each sequence is a series of I2C transfers in the form:
> >
> > u8 length | u8 chip address | u8 byte0/reg address | u8 byte 1 | u8 byte n ...
> >
> > The length indicates the number of bytes to transfer, including the register
> > address. The length of the sequence is limited by the amount of space
> > reserved in SRAM, 127 bytes.
> >
> > The sequences are taken from the i2c1 node in the device tree. The property
> > name for the sleep sequence is "sleep_sequence" and the property name for
> > the wake sequence is "wake_sequence". Each property should be an array of
> > bytes.
> >
> > No actions are performed if the properties are not present in the device
> > tree.
>
> Looks like you should make that into just a regular device driver that lives
> under drivers/ somewhere?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony

This code has to be copied to, and run from SRAM. What would that even
look like? Additionally, there is also code under drivers/ that
manages this piece of hardware, i2c-omap.c. The code in this patch
differs in that it accesses no system memory, no stack, only knows how
to write, and it runs without interrupts.