3.9-rc1 regression in arm dtb build

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Thu Mar 28 05:29:16 EDT 2013

On Mon 2013-03-11 19:00:47, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:

> >> Oh right. I guess it works fine when having built 3.7 and then building
> >> 3.8, since you'd look in the new location first and only fall back to
> >> the old location if missing. However, if you then switch back to 3.7 to
> >> test something, I guess that doesn't work so well.
> >>
> >> I tend to always build the dtbs target, so I wasn't affected by this.
> >> And, often run "git clean -f -d -x" too.
> >>
> >> Grant, what's your call on this issue; should I/you look into ways to
> >> clean the files better, or do you want to revert this?
> >
> > I'm not Grant, but I think we're better off cleaning up the current situation
> > instead of reverting. Otherwise 3.8 will be the oddball weird release; it's
> > better to get people moved over to the new location.
>
> Don't revert. It needs to be fixed up. Pavel, if you're really choked
> up about this we can symlink the files from the old location to the
> new. I personally don't think it is that onerous a change though since
> the files are easy to find and build systems can adapt.

So... lets see.

There's change that makes it pretty much impossible to build dtbs
reliably between different kernel versions, because it leaves old dtbs
around, and they survive even make clean.

You don't want it reverted, yet noone fixes it.

What are supposed advantages of new location? (Besides disadvantages I
listed before)? Can we just revert the patch?

									Pavel