[RFCv1 07/11] irqchip: armada-370-xp: add MSI support to interrupt controller driver

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Mar 26 17:42:51 EDT 2013

Dear Arnd Bergmann,

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 21:15:40 +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 March 2013, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > +                       msimask = readl_relaxed(per_cpu_int_base +
> > +                                       ARMADA_370_XP_IN_DRBEL_CAUSE_OFFS)
> > +                               & PCI_MSI_DOORBELL_MASK;
> > +
> > +                       writel(~PCI_MSI_DOORBELL_MASK, per_cpu_int_base +
> > +                              ARMADA_370_XP_IN_DRBEL_CAUSE_OFFS);
> > +
>
> Upon reading this code again, I stumbled over the barriers. You use
> a readl_relaxed() without barrier but a writel() with barrier. Is
> that intentional? Are you sure that you don't need a full readl()
> to guarantee that all inbound DMA that was sent by the device before
> the MSI message has arrived by the time the interrupt handler function
> is called? It depends on the implementation of the MSI controller whether
> that guarantee is already made by the fact that you are handling the
> interrupt.

This question I will have to raise to the Marvell HW engineers, the
datasheet does not go into these considerations. For now, I'm rather
trying to validate the 'architecture' of the code: DT binding,
interaction between the IRQ controller driver and the PCIe driver, etc.

Thanks,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons