OMAP baseline test results for v3.9-rc3

Paul Walmsley paul at pwsan.com
Tue Mar 26 14:29:40 EDT 2013

Hi

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:

> On Monday 18 March 2013 09:08 PM, Paul Walmsley wrote:
>
> > Test summary
> > ------------
> >
> Thanks for the summary Paul. A usual, it is quite exhaustive.

Would that it were true.  These tests are really only very superficial.
Here are some major missing areas:

- other devices (audio, video, etc.)
- stability testing - does the board hang or freeze across 24 hours to
  a week of uptime?
- CPU DVFS
- current consumption during active, ret idle, off idle
- multiple bootloaders
- multiple rootfs originations (across boards that support several) --
  e.g., NFS, MMC, etc.

If I were basing anything off the mainline kernel, that's the minimum I'd
like to see.

> > * 4430es2panda, 4460pandaes: pwrdm state mismatch on CAM, DSS, ABE
> >
> I thought we discussed about boot-loader dependency already.
>
> > * 4460pandaes: pwrdm state mismatch on IVAHD, TESLA
> >
> Same here.

Have these issues been confirmed to be bootloader-related?

If so, then we can mark these as cases where the kernel isn't resetting
devices properly.

> > * 4430es2panda: CORE, TESLA, IVAHD, L3INIT didn't enter target state
> >   - Probably due to lack of reset code for M3, DSP, SL2IF, FSUSB
> >     per discussion with Tero Kristo
> >   - Likely dependent on the bootloader version
> >     - fails with 2012.07-00136-g755de79
> >
> Do you still see the issue after upgrading the boot-loader version ?

Haven't tried yet.

> > * 4460pandaes: chip not entering retention in dynamic idle
> >   - Presumably 4430es2panda also fails this
> >   - Suspend-to-RAM enters full chip retention
> >
> Assuming dynmic idle is CPUIdle, core retention isn't supported
> in CPUDILE so it is expected

No, it's not CPUIdle.  It's simply echoing a power management timeout to
the UART autosuspend sysfs entries.  You can see exactly what's done by
checking the pm/ directory in the test logs, for example:

http://www.pwsan.com/omap/testlogs/test_v3.9-rc4/20130324120244/pm/

OMAP4 should be able to enter full-chip retention idle without CPUIdle, as
OMAP3 does.  If the current kernel depends on CPUIdle to do this on OMAP4,
that's a bug.

> > Other:
> >
> > * 4430es2panda: omap_hwmod: l3_instr: _wait_target_disable failed
> >   - Unknown cause; could be due to the lack of hierarchical enable/disable
> >     in hwmod code
> >   - Jon Hunter reports this does not appear with the same X-loader/bootloader
> >     on his 4430ES2.3 Panda, so could be ES-level dependent
> I confirm Jon's observation even on my OMAP4430 ES2.3 SDP.

Thanks, I put this in the v3.9-rc4 README.

- Paul