Integrator PCI base dilemma

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Fri Mar 22 15:22:48 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 09:48:27AM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> Yes, I was assuming that Linus would keep Integrator/AP working since that is
>> what he uses.
>
> It's entirely possible that Linus doesn't use a VGA card with Integrator/AP
> if Linus is not using MILO - because MILO was the only boot loader for
> that platform which had an x86 emulator built in to run the VGA BIOS to
> initialize the VGA card.

You are right, or, well, I have had an S3 VGA card plugged in and been
scratching my head wondering how I should get the damned thing to
work.

Now I *know* there is not really a way for me to make this work
with the kernel only.

> There are two boot loaders I'm aware of which are capable of doing this,
> and those are MILO and my boot loader for Footbridge platforms (which,
> incidentally, now runs ATA card BIOSes too complete with input support
> and can push out the VGA output via serial and accept keypresses via
> serial) - and that doesn't work on Integrator/AP.

I'm on U-boot for this thing, I wonder if that can do x86
emulation to initialize VGA card. I guess I'm about to learn.

Yours,
Linus Walleij