[U-Boot] [RFC] Kbuild support for ARM FIT images

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 18 15:57:25 EDT 2013

Dear Stephen,

In message <51475997.2060008 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> Raw zImage /is/ the useful format that should be adopted.

This "one size fits all" approch does fit everywhere.  There are a
number of users (including _big_ commercial ones, with _large_ numebrs
of systems in the field) that have simple requirements like:

- how can I find out if the image I just loaded to RAM in OK (OK
  maning some checksum is correct, or some crypto-key could be
  verified, or ...) ?

- how can I find out which version of image is installed on this
  device in the flash?  Can I print something like an ID string, or a
  build timestamp, etc?

etc. etc.

zImage may work well in many cases, but there are also many cases
where in image format that allows for additional meta-data is
mandatory.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.