[RFC] USB: EHCI: hot-fix OMAP and Orion multiplatform config

Arnaud Patard (Rtp) arnaud.patard at rtp-net.org
Mon Mar 18 12:53:00 EDT 2013

Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> writes:

Hi,

> On Saturday 16 March 2013, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

>> > Would you consider the hot fix at the start of this thread for 3.9
>> > then? I can resubmit it as a patch for inclusion with the missing
>> > hunk added in if there are no objections.
>>
>> Feel free to resend, but remember, I am very leery of pushing this
>> type of patch in at the moment, given my past history with it...
>
> Sure, it's your decision. I just don't want to be accused of abandoning the
> issue that I caused. It's not strictly a regression because no configuration
> that was working in 3.8 is broken in 3.9, and embedded systems won't normally
> run a multiplatform kernel anyway. Also, the patch is really an ugly hack,
> which is probably enough reason not to take it. ;-)

Given that the omap patch has been accepted and that the patch is an
"ugly hack", how hard it would be to provide a working patch for mvebu
(well, orion usb driver) ?

> The only situation I can think of that is broken without the hotfix is
> distribution kernels that were already running multiplatform on Armada XP
> (mvebu/orion) and now want to add OMAP support without breaking the

well, for omap, this patch may be needed too
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=136248269928419&w=2 imho (I've not
checked if it's merged now).

> platforms that are already working. Peter Robinson is doing this on for
> Fedora right now[1] and I assume the Debian/Ubuntu/OpenSUSE/Gentoo
> people will be in a similar situation, but they can all apply the
> patch

fwiw, I've mentionned this usb issue few days ago when talking about
multiplatform on the debian-arm ml.

> manually if it doesn't make it into 3.9. It won't be the only patch they

it can applied in the debian kernel, as long as the patch is merged
upstream.

Arnaud